Wednesday, February 2, 2011

'Après Un Rêve'

Gabriel Faure (1845-1924)'s ''Après Un Rêve' is one of my favorite French vocal music.

Truly lyrical, beautiful, melodious and deep.....moreover, it speaks of dream, night, mystery and fantasy.. Though I have known for this song from the vocal accompaniment 4 years ago with my friend, a vocalist.. I had naught understand fully the meaning of this lyric back at that time... instead... the meanings flow naturally now..maybe it is due to the maturing process that is happening....it is probably the most suitable music to immerse in during solitary times, especially during peaceful slumber accompanied by the warm voices of the gentle rain.....


'
Après Un Rêve'

Dans un sommeil que charmait ton image

Je rêvais le bonheur, ardent message;
Tes yeux étaient plus doux, ta voix pure et sonore
Tu rayonnais comme un ciel éclairé par l’aurore;

Tu m’appelais, et je quittais la terre

Pour m’enfuir avec toi vers la lumière;
Les cieux pour nous entr’ouvraient leurs nues;
Splendeurs inconnues, lueurs divines entrevues...

Hélas, hélas, triste réveil des songes !

Je t’apelle, ô nuit, rends-moi tes mensonges;
Reviens, reviens radieuse
Reviens, ô nuit mystérieuse

Translation:


'After A Dream'


In a slumber charmed by your image

I dreamed of happiness, ardent mirage;
Your eyes were more tender, your voice pure and clear.
You were radiant like a sky brightened by sunrise;
You were calling me, and I left the earth
To flee with you towards the light;
The skies opened their clouds for us,
Splendors unknown, glimpses of divine light...
Alas! Alas, sad awakening from dreams!
I call to you, oh night, give me back your illusions;
Return, return with your radiance,
Return, oh mysterious night!


No comments: