Monday, October 13, 2008

The Forgotten Dream and my P.O.V.(point of view) towards Academic Life


Half-way during conversation with my manager during busy peak hours, I remembered my forgotten ambition which used to be my dream 10 years ago. At that moment, I studied my secondary school in Singapore. Whenever someone asked me what degree I wanted to pursue in mind.. I would say: Law. Yeah right.. No bluff here, it was true. I wanted to study law ever since I understand there is a profession called: Lawyer. And I really have only one that particular dream in mind during my 3 years of scholing in Singapore. Also, I always think that lawyers are cool. They represent the people, they believe in justice, they are smart, sophisticated, well-dressed, eloquent, rich, reputable, simply said, they got 'style'. Everytime I watched lawyers on tv or movie, I always get excited. Have you read John Grisham? Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mocking Bird? " These books are. When I was 14 I went to library and started reading about "Introduction to Law Education".. hard one to read... In the end.. it was just an unreachable dream.

Reasons & Factors involved: Firstly,  I told myself I would give up on pursuing law in the future if I didn't get an A for my English during my O Level in 2002. Sadly, .I only got a B. Then? why not tried it again during VCE year? The answer is, I am not 'smart' enough. You need at least 98 score to enter the law faculty and mine was no where near at all. Moreover, yes.. I love to read, I used to be a hardcore 'bookworm'. I love books, I like to write (as you can obviously see...) but it is just not good enough. 

Secondly,  when it comes to..Personality, surely, I would be the first one to get kick out of the bar.. Yes, I have a very strong choleric temperament, independent, stubborn and seriousness within. However, I am not good a good speaker. I scared of stage, I don't really talk to stranger, K.O. during debates, and never give speech in my entire life. I can talk, but in small group, not a big one, and not pursuasive at all. I can only..give orders and motivate people in my kitchen....How would it be possible for me to win the heart of 12 juries in the courtroom? Forget about it.

As well, my emotions becomes a weakness itself. Robert said, i would surely cry in the courtroom and would be very subjective when comes to relations. Though, he said, if i were entitled Bachelor of Law now, it would be very interesting.... said that my employer would have great advantage for his business. And some colleagues would consult me on how to get his assests.. Ckck..Well, back to the topic. At work, lots of my staff think I am tough woman, some said I were scary,... They just don't know that I am a cry baby in fact... a serious NO NO thing for a lawyer.

At least I have a B.A. (Bachelor of Arts) now. And it well-suited me. Apart from rigid, high demands, performance-based (which I don't really enjoy performing) life as a Music student, Arts School allow me to play around with whatever I like. I love learning languages; I major and minor in Japanese and Chinese, I enjoy learning facts and playing with words.. Arts subjects are all about reading, writing essays and research. Although I can't argue verbally, at least I could write during assignments. And the best moments as Arts Student : Taking down notes during lectures, especially when the lecturer talked a lot, and during history and Art EXAMS = the happiest hours of my life as a student!

The point is, my emo. side is pretty strong. And.. you hardly find this kind of law student.. Well, maybe, if I had very high IQ, objective and Strong and Stable emotions, I might be studying law during my academic years already. And most probably, I won't be who I am today if I pursued that path of life. As for the present, I am happy with who I am, satisfied with my current jobs, especially in the hospitality field, grateful for family and friends that I have. Yes, life has ups and downs and things out of control, but it is the learning process and I have 'FAith' that makes me keep on going with everything. I was proud to say I used to dream of becoming a lawyer, yet not ashamed of the paths that I have chosen today. When it comes to the time of wanting to play around with vocabs and writing a lot... Be thankful to have thing called 'BLOG' today where I could just write nonsense as much as I want without the fear of being penalised or getting a 'FAIL' ^_^

2 comments:

fei said...

i dreamt of being an archaeologist, strange eh? but you are what you are today because of your choices, and we love the current jessi :D

Unknown said...

A lawyer, hmmm..... that suits you in dondon's kitchen :) i guess our manager would agree.

Jessica, as you keep toward heaven, you will be somebody to whom angels would keep their eyes on you. Spirits are everywhere as our friends shared the stories, but perhaps you should know that angels are as real as we. Have u met them in dondon?

thank you for the sharing :)