Monday, January 31, 2011

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows - Soundtrack

The score for Deathly Hallows: Part 1 is composed by Alexandre Desplat, a notable French composer.

The first review of the soundtrack was released on October 31st, 2010. The soundtrack received many positive reviews. ‘Obliviate’, the Prelude of the Deadly Hallows portrays the sad, mournful story, appropriate for the projection of the movie. It is neither a mysterious fantasy theme, nor a triumphant battle score, it is unique and full of depth, reflecting the progression of the emotions that the film contains.

At the time I watched the film for the first time in cinema; I noticed the melancholy tones and how the background music attracted me so much. When I found out that the composer was Alexander Desplat, it made sense to me. Having been listening well to Desplat‘s Curious Case of Benjamin Button, I could identify the uniqueness of Desplat’s composition; the sombre timbre, the many uses of dark tones, the beautiful melancholy tunes. And after I watched Deathly Hallows: Part 1, for the second time, I decided to purchase the soundtrack.

One month has passed, as I listen to the soundtrack all the time and I have fallen in love with it. ‘Obliviate’ sets the scene for a sad, mournful story and perhaps, highly appropriate to introduce this film. The music lends quiet emotional depth in ‘Harry & Ginny’, some tense, robust action with outstanding precision in many other tracks. In ‘Ron’s Speech’, the emotion in this music is high above success. It is so much serene and beautiful that I couldn't help but really feel it. Through the music, it depicts Desplat's genuine understanding towards the characters in the film; the painful transition from children to adult that the characters have to face, the struggles, and the deepest feelings, the dark forces, have all been illustrated with the entire soundtrack.

Nevertheless, John William’s scores for Harry Potter‘s first two movies received much credit as well. And Harry’s Wondrous World, ceaselessly, has been my favorite for 8 years and will always be.

No doubt, these soundtracks serve as my faithful companions when I was alone, in my room, which illustrates the mood of the story for Harry Potter series vividly. And honestly, some of the music suit my moods very much.

No comments: