Monday, March 14, 2011

MSO Tributes to John Williams

Melbourne Symphony Orchestra 's performance of Star Wars and Beyond ~ A Celebration of John William was certainly the best orchestra concert that I enjoyed most ~ And I thank God for this special opportunity to have this chance to enjoy the music so much ! The Saturday of 12th of March 2011, would be memorable and I really wish to have this opportunity again.

Firstly, John Williams has always been one of the master of film music that I respected. An American composer, conductor and pianist, he was educated in Julliard and had won numerous awards, including 5 Academy Awards and 4 Golden Globes. Notable in his works are the famous theme scores for the films :
Star Wars, Jaws, Superman, Jurassic Park, E.T., Harry Potters 1& 2, and Catch me if You can. And truly, I enjoyed every single notes, every single pieces that was performed, all pieces were high and standards and really fantastic !

I grew up watching
Jurassic Park, I watched E.T., even Star Wars and my mom used to play the soundtracks which meant I had been accustomed to the tunes and have grown up loving his music to such a degree that, it is never boring for me to listen to Catch Me if You Can's soundtrack and Harry's Wondrous World for 8 years ! And having this chance to listen to the live orchestra for these pieces played right before my eyes took all my breath away !

John William has this typical characteristic in his music which defines how much he loves it. The sweet beautiful melody, the clever usage of
'leitmotiv' and how he painted the characters of each different scores, proved how much genius he is. Main influences of his music are the prominent figures such as Strauss, Wagner, Prokofiev and Stravinsky and I would never forget the beautiful mournful tone from the solo violin for Schindler's List and would always praised the 20th century compositional idioms that he used in the opening for E.T.

Apart from that, MSO was so lucky to have the great maestro
Anthony Inglis as the conductor. He is currently the Music Director of the National Symphony Orchestra in London and has vast outstanding repertoires throughout his career. His versatility as a conductor, his eloquent of speech, the warmth and his deep understanding of John's music was obvious through his deliverance. The way he created the usual rigid atmosphere of the concert hall into high valued theater representing Star Wars with the costumes were entertaining, as if the conductor had transformed into the characters itself. And, I do personally love his English accent !

Trust me, though it sounded odd.. as I listened to the delicate tunes from John's music.. the music and the harmony melts my heart so much.. that.. the feeling and the emotion were incomparable... even to the feelings that I felt when I had my first date. That is how much strong I love certain music and John William's is one of my beloved.

No comments: